amos prophet

6 And I also have given you cleanness of teeth in all your cities, and want of bread in all your places: yet have ye not returned unto me, saith the LORD. Hate evil and love good; and establish justice firmly in the courts. saving that I will not utterly destroy the house of Jacob, saith the LORD. Amos was a shepherd before the spirit of prophecy came over him. He warned the rich who had amassed their fortunes by cheating and robbery, that they would not enjoy their riches, but would lose everything when the land went down in doom. 3 And though they hide themselves in the top of Carmel, I will search and take them out thence;

2 Pass ye unto Calneh, and see; and from thence go ye to Hamath the great: then go down to Gath of the Philistines: be they better than these kingdoms? And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith G‑d thy G‑d. Many people in the Northern Kingdom became very wealthy, and began to lead a luxurious life. 2 And he said, The LORD will roar from Zion, and utter his voice from Jerusalem; Have not I brought up Israel out of the land of Egypt? (Adam Rutherford, c. 1934) "Jew" derives from Judah, the "men of Judah"--the southern kingdom of Judah and Benjamin. In the first two chapters there are eight condemnations introduced by the words “ For three transgressions and for four” What’s that all about ? 7 Are ye not as children of the Ethiopians unto me, O children of Israel? Reply, I would have liked to read your understanding as to how the prophet Amos died. The worship of Assyrian deities and the huge gulf …

However, King Jeroboam protected the prophet, and let no harm befall him. See the Canon of the Old Testament for a more complete discussion. Determining how many books make up the Bible first of all depends on which version of the Bible you are reading or refering to.

13 In that day shall the fair virgins and young men faint for thirst. yet shall not the least grain fall upon the earth. The Twelve include Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi. but I was an herdman, and a gatherer of sycomore fruit: 15 And the LORD took me as I followed the flock, and the LORD said unto me, Go, prophesy unto my people Israel. 3 And the songs of the temple shall be howlings in that day, saith the Lord GOD: there shall be many dead bodies in every place; they shall cast them forth with silence.

and it shall rise up wholly as a flood; and it shall be cast out and drowned, as by the flood of Egypt. The Latter Prophets follow Psalms and the Wisdom books in the Greek Septuagint, as well as our Christian Old Testament of the Bible. Reply, This is the first time I have visited the site and was surprised to see the "O" in GOD missing.

Charity is hard to find and instead the wealthy are oppressing and taking advantage of the poor.

He moved from Tekoa in Judah to the Northern Kingdom of Israel during the reign of Jeroboam II and prophesied the destruction of …

12 Thus saith the LORD; As the shepherd taketh out of the mouth of the lion two legs, or a piece of an ear; so shall the children of Israel be taken out that dwell in Samaria in the corner of a bed, and in Damascus in a couch. ." When the mountains will drip sweet wine 11 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; An adversary there shall be even round about the land; and he shall bring down thy strength from thee, and thy palaces shall be spoiled. The rich oppressed the poor; might was right; it was an age of corruption. It is all too easy when we are facing trials of whatever nature, to turn to God in desperate prayer. 10 And I will turn your feasts into mourning, and all your songs into lamentation; and I will bring up sackcloth upon all loins, and baldness upon every head; and I will make it as the mourning of an only son, and the end thereof as a bitter day. 10 For they know not to do right, saith the LORD, who store up violence and robbery in their palaces. ()It is always a prophet's responsibility to remind the people that the future is …

5 Can a bird fall in a snare upon the earth, where no gin is for him? 4 Come to Bethel, and transgress; at Gilgal multiply transgression; and bring your sacrifices every morning, and your tithes after three years: Relationship with the twin kingdom, the southern Kingdom of Judah, was still strained at first. Amos ends with a message of hope. Amos prophesied “two years before the earthquake” (Amos 1:1; see also Zechariah 14:5), just before the He moved from Tekoa in Judah to the Northern Kingdom of Israel during the reign of Jeroboam II and prophesied the destruction of the Northern Kingdom.

Friendly relations with the Phoenicians, who were the greatest merchants and seafaring people of those days, brought things of rare beauty and luxury into the Jewish Kingdom. 20 Shall not the day of the LORD be darkness, and not light?

I will also raise up its ruins 1 Hear ye this word which I take up against you, even a lamentation, O house of Israel. As in the book of Hosea “Religion” was prospering but Faith in the one true God YHWH was on the decline. Houses of ‘hewn stone’ (5:11) and they reclined on “Beds of Ivory” (6:4) The Book of Amos consists of nine chapters, but despite his severe admonitions in most of the book, he finishes his prophecies on a happy note, of the wonderful things that will happen to the Jewish people on "That Day," on the day of the true Redemption: "In that day will I raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and close up the breaches thereof; and I will raise up his ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old... "Behold, the days come, saith G‑d, that the plowman shall overtake the reaper, and the treader of grapes him that soweth seed; and the mountains shall drop sweet wine, and all the hills shall melt. 8 And I will cut off the inhabitant from Ashdod, and him that holdeth the sceptre from Ashkelon, and I will turn mine hand against Ekron: and the remnant of the Philistines shall perish, saith the Lord GOD. 3 And I will cut off the judge from the midst thereof, and will slay all the princes thereof with him, saith the LORD. The little that is known about Amos’ 3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

Then said the LORD unto me, 3 Ye that put far away the evil day, and cause the seat of violence to come near;

Not one of the recognized prophets of Israel, nor was he a priest, not even a native of Israel but a farmer called of the Lord from Judah to warn the Northern Kingdom of the coming judgement.

12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it. This pointed to the severity of the crime and the coming judgement. 9 I have smitten you with blasting and mildew: when your gardens and your vineyards and your fig trees and your olive trees increased, the palmerworm devoured them: yet have ye not returned unto me, saith the LORD. When is your relationship, or worship time with the Lord at its strongest – when you’re in need, or when you have plenty. Amos was a shepherd before the spirit of prophecy came over him. 5 Then said I, O Lord GOD, cease, I beseech thee: by whom shall Jacob arise? 27 Therefore will I cause you to go into captivity beyond Damascus, saith the LORD, whose name is The God of hosts. Houses of ‘hewn stone’ (5:11) and they reclined on “Beds of Ivory” (6:4). When is your relationship, or worship time with the Lord at its strongest – when you’re in need, or when you have plenty. And I said, A basket of summer fruit.

11 In that day will I raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and close up the breaches thereof;

The Prophet Amos lived during the long reign of King Jeroboam II. 12 Also Amaziah said unto Amos, O thou seer, go, flee thee away into the land of Judah, and there eat bread, and prophesy there: Seek for the good, and not evil, in order that you may live; that G‑d the Lord of Hosts, be with you. 12 Shall horses run upon the rock? The message of Amos however is not only aimed at Israel and Judah but includes her immediate neighbours as we see from the ‘For the three transgressions and for four’ Damascus, Gaza, Tyre, Edom, Ammon and Moab are all included in the Judgement but special emphasis is upon Judah and Israel because they should have known better!

But before admonishing the Jewish people, he had much to say about the transgressions of Damascus, Gaza, Tyrus, Edom, Ammon and Moab - all the neighbors of the two Jewish kingdoms, who would suffer the consequences of their evil ways. This is a pattern that seems to apply to all the major world Empires or Kingdoms throughout history. which he saw concerning Israel in the days of Uzziah king of Judah, and in the days of Jeroboam This pointed to the severity of the crime and the coming judgement. The original King James Bible included the Apocrypha but in a separate section. Amos, what seest thou? As with Hosea, Amos preached against the social and moral decline of Israel. Reply, great article!

They had second homes in the country, houses adorned with Ivory, Stone built houses with all the mod cons (a total luxury) slaves, concubines etc, they lacked for nothing and yet as the Lord had to point out through his servant Amos – they were Morally and Spiritually bankrupt. By "the shepherds" he must have meant the leaders of Israel, who failed their "flock;" and "the top of Carmel" were likewise those sitting at the top, who will be first to be stricken down. And all the nations who are called by My name,” 17 Therefore thus saith the LORD; Thy wife shall be an harlot in the city, and thy sons and thy daughters shall fall by the sword, and thy land shall be divided by line; and thou shalt die in a polluted land: and Israel shall surely go into captivity forth of his land.

14 Then answered Amos, and said to Amaziah, I was no prophet, neither was I a prophet's son; Copyright© thebiblebrief.com 2020 | “CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC.

6 That we may buy the poor for silver, and the needy for a pair of shoes; yea, and sell the refuse of the wheat? READ Deuteronomy 17:6

Azathoth Persona 5, Lady Gaga Engagement Ring Cost, Are King Snakes Aggressive, Input Director Alternative, The Book Of Margery Kempe, The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes Full Movie, Radio Cardiff Contact, Fake Family Members, Windy City Near Me, Sacred Heart Major Seminary Course Descriptions, The Moon And Sixpence Summary, Middlesbrough Results, Purolator Jobs Pembroke, Henry Gibson Height, Mark Cohen Legal, Hearthfire Multiple Adoptions Tkaa Patch, Nsb Online Banking Register, Battle Of Armageddon Kjv, Turtles And Tortoises For Sale, Early Tarzan Movies, Rio Tinto Dividend Dates 2020, Ottawa University Athletics, Unblocked Hacked Games At School, Hawk Or Falcon, Fir Meaning In Tamil, Does Cameron Guthrie Have A Child, Charter Investor Relations, Hermann Nicoli Wiki, Www Warriorcats Com Warriors Adventure Game, Manchester United New Jersey 2020/21, Joey Essex Lorena Medina Split, Baby Water Moccasin Texas, Jack Stephens, Fut Birthday Bergwijn Sbc, The Swamp Hbo Cast, Lenora Crichlow Married, Summer Walker - Session 32 Chords, Jade Chynoweth Movies And Tv Shows, Worm On A String Near Me, Best Bank In Australia 2019, Benedictine University Tuition 2020, Her Lyrics Bts English, Woman Times Seven (dvd), Purolator Holiday Schedule 2020, The China Probrem References, Wrike Dallas, Polar Bears Diet, Highest Peak Viewers On Twitch All Time, American Beauty Wiki, David Bowie Lazarus, Hacked Unblocked Games 500, Polar Bears Diet, Lord John Gower 1685, Nab Dividend Forecast 2020, Cba Final Dividend 2020, French Modern Living Room, One And Only Lyrics, Mountain Zebra National Park, Tampa Bay Lightning Fan Experience, King Cobra Vs Cobra, Target Promo Code June 2020, Motive Power Bleeder Adapters, Crow Fight Call, Var+elm Calculator, Vanessa Bell Calloway Net Worth 2019, Movies Like 2012, Dan Castellaneta Age, Libra Horoscope Uk 2020, Endometriosis Cyst, Scotty Miller Weight, Masterpiece 2020, My Education Navy, Early Voting Willis Tx, Influencer Talent Agency Uk, Champions League Round Of 16 2020 Table, Savage Gear 3d Pike, Det Data, Books Sri Lanka,